Transfer Students

Students who have already completed at least 28 semester units or 35 quarter units of continuous enrollment at accredited colleges or universities will be considered for admission on the basis of that academic record (rather than the secondary school record) provided they have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better. Students who have completed fewer than 28 semester or 35 quarter units should apply as freshman applicants, but may be granted advanced credit for that work.

Transfer applicants should submit items listed in numbers 1 and 2 in the Freshman Applicants section of the Admission chapter, as well as official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended. A one to two page essay/personal statement and faculty evaluation is required. The transfer application deadline is August 1. Any applications submitted after this date will be considered by petition only.

College Transcripts

A student who applies for admission must submit, upon application, official transcripts of all college work attempted elsewhere. A student who takes undergraduate work elsewhere must have an official transcript of that work sent to the The College of Idaho registrar upon its completion. Intentional failure to do so will constitute falsification of record and will be sufficient grounds for dismissal from the college.

Units earned at accredited colleges or universities will be evaluated by the registrar and credit will be given in accordance with college policy only after a student has been accepted. 

In general, credit will be accepted for courses which are comparable to courses in the college curriculum. Units earned at non-accredited colleges may be accepted as a basis for advanced standing in accordance with the recommendations of the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers, but only upon satisfactory completion of at least 30 units in residence at the college.

Junior College Credit

A maximum of 70 semester units or 106 quarter units of approved junior college credit may be transferred to The College of Idaho to be counted toward the 124 units required for graduation (see senior residence requirement). Only lower-division credit will be allowed for junior college / community college work.

NOTE: To place students in appropriate courses, official copies of all academic transcripts and test scores should be on file in the Admission Office prior to advising and registration for the first time at The College of Idaho. If official copies of documents are not on file within 30 days of the start of the first term of attendance, no credit will be granted for transfer work or AP examination scores.