Cost of Attendance

Full-Time Undergraduate Enrollment

Full-time students are those enrolled for 12 or more units, inclusive, during Fall and Winter/Spring terms.

2009-2010 Academic Year
Fall Winter/Spring Total
Tuition $9,650 $9,650 $19,300

Residence Hall Costs (Annual Rate)

The College of Idaho offers on-campus housing to all full-time students. Part-time students may live on campus as space permits. All full-time freshmen and sophomores are required to live on campus. For more information about this policy and about Residence Life in general, please visit the Residence Life webpage:

Room Rental*

Double/Closet Singles (room designed for two occupants)
Hall cost
Hayman & Simplot $3,750
Finney & Voorhees $3,450
Anderso $3,300
Single in Double (small room designed for one occupant)
Hall cost
Hayman & Simplot $5,250
Finney & Voorhees $4,850
Anderson $4,650
Design Single (room designed for one occupant)
Hall cost
Hayman & Simplot $4,650;
Finney & Voorhees $4,250
Anderson $4,050
Room Size cost
Village (Quad/10 month contract) $4,410
Village (Double/10 month contract) $4,710

*Includes local telephone service, and activity fee.

Board Plan

(Assumes board cost plus any applicable Idaho State sales tax)

For health, to encourage community involvement and other reasons, The College of Idaho expects that all full-time students participate in a meal plan. Freshman and Sophomores living on campus are required to purchase Plan A, Plan B or Plan C each term. Freshman and Sophomores living off campus have the option of the Fr/So Non-Resident Plan.

In order to address the need for increased flexibility for upper-class students, Juniors and Seniors are eligible to participate in a Coyote Cash plan should they wish not to participate in the other Board Plans offered.

A student may add Coyote Cash onto his/her meal plan and upgrade to a larger meal plan at any point in the year. Meal Plans A, B or C can be downgraded only during the first week of Fall and Winter terms. If a student wishes to change his/her meal plan after the first week, or is approved by the Non-Academic Petition Committee to change his/her meal plan after the first week, that change will not take affect until the following term.

Meal Plans
Meal Plan # of Meals per year # of Meals of Fall term # of Meals for Winter/ Spring term Cost per term / Cost per year includes applicable Idaho State Sales Tax
Plan A 433 Meals 173 260 $2,014.00/$4,028.00
Plan B 333 Meals 133 200 $1,855.00/$3710.00
Plan C 233 Meals 93 140 $1,669.50/$3339.00
Plan D* Coyote Cash for use at McCain or Simplot Cafes $318.00/$636.00
Plan E Fr/So Non-Resident Plan $636.00/$1272.00

*for Jr's, Sr's only

Meal Plan Descriptions

Meal Plan A
is for students who plan on eating most of their daily meals in the Simplot Cafe'. Each term allows for approximately 13 meals per week. $150.00 Coyote Cash is included each term.
Meal Plan B
is for students who plan on eating regularly in the Simplot Cafe'. Each term allows for approximately 10 meals a week. $150.00 Coyote Cash is included each term.
Meal Plan C
is for students who plan on eating only one meal a day in the Simplot Cafe'. Each term allows for approximately 7 meals per week. $150.00 Coyote Cash is included each term.


Matriculation Deposit
This fee is refundable up to May 1st. After May 1st, this fee is non-refundable; however, it will be applied to student fees of enrolled students. $300


Fees are not refundable after first week of class.

Summary of Fees
Academic Service Fee $50
New Student Fees
Freshman $320
Transfers $285
ASACI Student Fees (students registered for 7 or more units)
C of I Student Senate votes each year to establish fee amount $400
Budget Payment Plan Enrollment Fee
Annual plan $60
Term plan $45
Reserved Parking Fees
Residence Hall Lot $100
General Lot $75
Returned Check Charge $25

Student Health Insurance

The College of Idaho requires all full-time students to carry medical insurance and provide proof of coverage annually. Students will be automatically enrolled and billed for insurance. The cost of the plan is payable on the first semester billing. If proof of adequate insurance is furnished to the college by the last day to add/drop in the first term attended, the insurance will be canceled and the charged reversed. Proof of insurance must be furnished every year.

Eligible dependents of students enrolled in the plan may participate in the plan on a voluntary basis. Additional information can be obtained from the Business Office.

Student Health Insurance
Annual premium $560

Class Fees

Some classes require additional fees for equipment or materials. Please consult course schedule for details. Fees are not refundable after first week of class.

Class Fees
Item Cost
Science Lab Fees (Chemistry, Physics, Biology & Geology $80
Software Fee (applies to Statistics classes) $50
Art Fees $95
Theater Fees $90
Physical Education Activities cost varies
Music - Private Lesson
- One half unit, instrument or voice (one half-hour lesson weekly) $75
- One unit, same instrument or voice (one one-hour lesson weekly) $150

Typical Costs

One year’s cost for a typical student living on campus is approximately:

New Students
Item Cost
Tuition $19,300
Fees* 770
Room & Board** 7,210
Books & Supplies 1,200
Personal & Misc. 700
Transportation Allowance 1,000
Total Cost of Education*** $30,180

*(Academic Service Fee, Student Fees, New Student Fee)
**(Double Room $3,500 and Block Plan B + Id St Sales Tax $3,710)
***Total Cost of Education does not include class specific fees or student insurance.

Part-Time Enrollment (Charges per Unit)

Students who have received an undergraduate degree or are 25 or older may enroll for classes at a reduced rate of $405 per unit. This reduced rate does not apply to independent study, internships, music lessons, practice teaching or other classes where individual attention is the primary means of instruction. Information is available in the Admission and Registrar’s Offices.

For information regarding the option to audit or take a course non/credit please refer to Auditing and Non-Credit Instruction.

Part-Time Tuition - Credit, Non-credit, or Audit
Status Per Unit
- Under age 25, no undergraduate degree $810
- Age 25 or older, or undergraduate degree $405
Academic Service Fee (per term) $25

(undergraduate course work required for entry into the fifth-year internship or MAT programs)
Status fees
Full-time students with a bachelor's degree $405 per unit
Academic Service Fee $25 per term
ASCI Fees $200 per term
Jr/Sr Meal Plan $300 + applicable Idaho State Sales Tax
per term minimum requirement

Master of Arts in Teaching / Intern Year Programs
Status Cost
Master of Arts in Teaching
- 1st Summer - 8 credit hours $3,600
- 2nd Summer - 6 credit hours $2,700
Intern Year $8,900
Academic Service Fee (per term) $25

Financial Arrangements

Registered students will receive a Statement of Account that reflects tuition, fees, room and board charges less any financial aid and scholarship prior to the beginning of each term. Payment is due by August 14 and December 15 for Fall and Winter/Spring terms respectively. The Statement of Account will reflect the most accurate information available, however, adding or dropping classes or making changes to room assignments and meal plans may trigger additional charges. Students are responsible for obtaining the information needed in order to pay tuition and fees by the due date(s). Payment arrangements must be made prior to due dates referenced above.

STUDENTS HAVING PROBLEMS MEETING THEIR FINANCIAL OBLIGATIONS TO THE COLLEGE SHOULD ADDRESS THEIR QUESTIONS AND/OR CONCERNS TO THE STUDENT ACCOUNTS REPRESENTATIVE. Failure to make payment arrangements with the Business Office will result in student being subject to the Delinquent Student Accounts Policy located in the Student Handbook.

The College of Idaho reserves the right to withhold transcripts, grades and suspend the ability to add or drop classes for students with unpaid balances.

Payment Options

Interest Charges;

The College of Idaho charges interest at 1% per month on all unpaid balances (does not include accounts on monthly payment plan option) over 30 days. Interest will be added to student accounts on the 10th of each month. This includes balances that are the result of a delay of loan funds or external scholarships or any payment plan not handled through Tuition Management Systems.

Student Privacy Act

Federal law prohibits release of academic or financial records, even to parents, without the student's consent for students over 18 years of age.

Refunds for Withdrawal

Refunds are calculated when an official course withdrawal or leave of absence form is filed with the Registrar's Office. The refunds are calculated per the Federal Refund Calculation guidelines and are adjusted to accommodate the differing lengths of the two terms (i.e., fall term is 13 weeks in length and winter/spring term is 19 weeks in length). Federal aid is refunded (returned to the federal programs) in compliance with federal regulations.

Tuition, board and residence hall charges and institutional aid for the two terms are refundable for official withdrawals as follows:

Fall Term
official withdrawal
(week of term)
refundable charges
1st 100%
2nd 87%
3rd 79%
4th 71%
5th 61%
6th and 7th
(includes break week)
8th 46%
9th No refund

Winter*/Spring Term Combined
official withdrawal
(week of term)
Refundable charges
1st 100%
2nd 90%
3rd 85%
4th 80%
5th 75%
6th and 7th
(includes break week)
8th 65%
9th 60%
10th 54%
11th 49%
12th 43%
13th No refund

*(If student withdraws at the end of winter session and does not attend any of the spring session, winter refund is based on part-time status and scholarships do not apply)

Non-Academic Student Petitions

The non-academic student petition is the process by which students may petition for release from the residency requirement and/or meal plan requirement, to downgrade a meal plan, or to request a refund of student fees. The Committee is comprised of representatives from the Business Office, Financial Aid Office, Residence Life, Admission Office, Food Service and a student. The Committee meets monthly to review non-academic student petitions. In some instances, the committee may defer judgment to the Dean of Student Affairs. Non-academic petitions are available in the Office of the Dean of Students and in the Residence Life Office.

Students submitting non-academic petitions are responsible for providing any and all documentation requested to evaluate the petition. No action will be taken on a petition until the student has provided all necessary documentation and/or authorized the release of information. Non-academic student petitions must be filed every year.

Students may appeal the outcome of the petition by writing a letter to the Dean of Students.