Bilingual Education Minor
This minor is offered by the Education Department in conjunction with Modern Foreign Language Department under the Professional Studies PEAK. The completion of this 20 credit minor qualifies a candidate for an Idaho Bilingual endorsement that can be added to an existing elementary or secondary teaching certificate.
- Six credits of upper-division (300-, 400-level) Spanish coursework (
- MFL-444/EDU-444.1 Second Language Acquisition Theory & Practice (3 cr)
- MFL-445/EDU-445.1 Foreign Language, ESL & Bilingual Methods (3 cr)
- MFL-446/EDU-446 Linguistics for Language Teachers (3 credits)
- MFL-447/EDU-447 Theoretical Foundations for Bilingual Education & ESL (3 cr)
- Two credit field experience in a culturally and linguistically diverse setting. (2 cr)
Student Learning Outcomes
- Critical Thinking
- Analytical Skills
- Problem Solving
- Oral and Written Communication
- Candidates will be able to demonstrate proficiency in Spanish
- Candidates will be able to describe the leading theories of language acquisition.
- Candidates will demonstrate dispositions that are appropriate for someone with will work in K-1 2 schools.
- Candidates will be able to describe the relationship among language, thought, and culture.