Independent Study

Opportunities for independent work are available through all college departments. A student, with the approval and consent of a faculty member, may enroll for independent study provided that the following guidelines are observed.

Application forms, which describe the independent study project, are available from the Registrar's Office. The form must be completed and filed with the registrar prior to beginning the work.

  • All applications for independent study must be co-signed by the student, the student's advisor, the faculty member who will assign the final grade, and the appropriate department chairperson.
  • A student may not enroll for more than three credits of independent study in any one session without the permission of the Curriculum Council.
  • Independent study does not substitute for regularly scheduled course work.
  • A faculty member may refuse to supervise an independent study project only with the permission of the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
  • A faculty member may, at the beginning of an independent study project, require that the work be done on a Pass-Fail basis.
    • Work done on a Pass-Fail basis will not count toward requirements for a major, minor, or general graduation. See Pass-Fail Option regulations.