Teaching English as a Second Language Minor
This minor is offered by the Education Department under the Professional PEAK. It provides students who earn a teaching certificate with the option of adding an endorsement for teaching Second Language Learners (ESL).
Minor Requirements (20 credits):
- At least four credits of a modern foreign language (4 cr)
- EDU-430 Teaching in a Diverse Society (3 cr)
- MFL-444/EDU-444.1 Second Language Acquisition Theory & Practice (3 cr)
- EDU-445.1 Foreign Language, ESL & Bilingual Methods (3 cr)
- EDU-446 Linguistics for Language Teachers (3 cr)
- EDU-447 Theoretical Foundations for Bilingual Education & ESL (3 cr)
- one credit field experience in an ESL setting. (1 cr)
Student Learning Outcomes
- Oral and Written Communications
- Analytical Reasoning
- Problem Solving
- Critical Thinking
- Candidates will be able to describe the leading theories of language acquisition.
- Candidates will demonstrate dispositions that are appropriate for someone with will work in K-12 schools.
- Candidates will be able to describe the relationship among language, thought, and culture.